Tuesday, November 3, 2009

The grad.

I'm on a posting frenzy, and it feels so good!

So, this is Randy's last semester of school. EVER! I am so proud of him and all the hard work, dedication and patience he has put into it all. Being a music major at BYU is no little task. Part of his major requirement was for him to take lessons for whatever musical instrument got him accepted into the major in the first place. The cello. It has been so fun listening to him practice his pieces... he practices an hour every day! His instrument playing (he can play any instrument, he's a natural and I'm jealous) has been put on hold while he focuses more on school. His official major is audio recording, so technically... it has nothing to do with playing an instrument, but it is in the music major... so really it has EVERYTHING to do with playing an instrument. ;) I'm glad that they make it this way because these guys have such an ear for music (I'm told I have a really lousy ear, cause Randy doesn't like the songs I like) and that makes them more competitive and valuable. Anyway, so it has been a lot of fun for our little family to sit in the front room and listen to him play. A few weeks ago he had a recital at an old folks' home in Provo. I was so excited to see Randy in action again! He's been in orchestras pretty much all his life, and when I met him he was in the Philharmonic at BYU (he's been on TV before, people)! :) So for him this was really no big deal at all, but for us it was so exciting! Macey has never seen Randy perform before.

I figured it's an old folks' home... they love kids, right? I'll be the hit of the night with a crazy toddler and a baby! Riiiiight. Turns out, the old folks didn't care so much about the kids... but thoroughly enjoyed watching (let's be honest, I don't know how much hearing goes on in that place) Randy! I was trying to stifle my laughter... Randy was surrounded by women! I think I only saw 1 man there.



 They loved it! Except for one woman, who got up in the middle of a performance and walked out. As she was leaving she looked at me and said "I hate that kind of music." HAHAHA! It was all classical! That made my night. Randy did fantastic and when he got up some women got up with him and followed him to his seat so they could ask him questions (or check him out). :)



It was a fun night, but really the highlight of the night was while Randy was playing Macey yelled "GO DADDY!" It was too cute to tell her to be quiet.... but also really embarrassing. :) She loved watching him perform, too.

2 comments:

SladeMomma said...

I graduated from BYU in music and I KNOW it's a big deal and I KNOW how hard you have to work and how much you have to practice. Good for Randy! I'd have enjoyed being one of those old ladies listening to him.

Mindy said...

Wow...it makes me so proud of the Rando. :) He's so talented but would never flaunt it. You have to like squeeze it out of him, or did anyway back in the day.