As you know, this year I discovered a love for refinishing furniture. I have literally been on the hunt for a nice solid computer desk for less than $25 for 4 months. You'd think in Utah County, they'd be in abundance. Well, I guess they are... but they are hot items, apparently. I could never time it right. I would call on an ad that was 10 minutes old and it had already been sold! And the local D.I. is a joke, people literally stake it out, I swear. GAH! At first I was pretty particular, I wanted something solid with some grooves and retro-ness to it so I could paint it olive green and antique it like I did with this. I have been itching to paint something olive. But after about 2 months of failure I decided not to be picky anymore. As long as it was solid, had drawers to help with clutter, wasn't too deep, it would work. (Is that too much to ask?) I FINALLY found one on Craigslist for $20. I didn't even bother to ask Randy what he thought, I made the call and BAM, it was all mine. Then I made Randy go pick it up. :) I'm really pleased with it. It is a simple desk but super sturdy and solid. Since it's basically a run-of-the-mill desk, I didn't want to waste olive on it. I decided it would look good in black with sanded edges... and to give it some personality, I installed knobs that I painted black polka dots on. :P
So here she is... Juanita. Unfortunately no "before" pictures. It was just a light colored oak, nothing fancy, was in pretty good shape, too... but I needed it black. With polka dots.
I named her Juanita because after 20 hours of manual labor she still only cost me about $30. :D Really it shouldn't have taken me that long to get it all painted and finished but there was a minor mishap at the very end. Oh, something about me going out into the garage way too late at night to hurry and put the finish on. Turns out, I grabbed the wrong can. So I had to strip it off and do it all over again.... when I was awake. That doesn't matter to me anymore. What matters is that she's finished now and serving her purpose. Before, my computer was on our old newlywed kitchen table down here. It looked awful and somehow accumulated SO MUCH CLUTTER! I was more than happy to get it out... but problem is, when we brought Juanita down here, we realized we don't have anywhere to put the kitchen table. So... we moved it to the side and now I have some craft projects on it. I think I will refinish it and sell it for ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

4 comments:
Juanita looks great! Just so you know, I came home from American Fork feeling very mad at myself that I don't have any cool projects like you have! All of yours turn out so cute and inexpensive. I don't even know where to begin with my ideas! I guess I'll just keep loving your projects and hoping someday a fire with spark with an idea for my house:)
Nice job on the desk! But I have to say it was kind of freaky to see a picture of your computer on my computer screen....since we have the same one!
Amanda I didn't know you have the same one! Is it new? You didn't say anything the last time you were over here.
Way to go! It looks so nice and clean! Lucky.
Post a Comment