Sunday, May 2, 2010

Graduation.

Friday, April 22, Randy walked for his graduation last December. At first we were a little hesitant about walking since he's been graduated for 4 months, but his parents thought he would regret it if he didn't. In the end, I'm glad he did. It was a nice ceremony and I got some cap and gown photo ops!

He was the only December '09 grad in the Sound Recording Technology Program. I was proud. There were only 5 grads in April! It's a hard program to get into. I really liked what the dean of the School of Music said. He said he likes to tell his students that they're 1 in 10. Because for how hard it is to get into BYU, it's even harder to be accepted into the school of music and excel.

Funny story about the big day. Since Randy's been out of school for a while, he wasn't sure what he needed to do for the whole walking thing. His counselor told him just show up at 10:15 in the hall of the De Jong, and everything will be there for you. Uhhh, wrong. We got there a little early, luckily. Randy went to check in and asked where his cap and gown was and the lady there gave him a wide eyed look and asked, "you don't have it?!" Haha. Turns out, the cap and gowns were clear across campus, and she wasn't even sure it was open. Randy called me on my cell as I was saving seats for his parents and told me that he was running across campus right now. Talk about anxiety. For a minute there I wasn't sure if we'd even see his name in the program! Thankfully, the Hinckley building was open, and his cap and gown was there waiting for him... and he even made it back in time for the ceremony. Phew!


Graduating Class for the School of Music & Fine Arts
Randy walking across the stage to accept his fake diploma! (His real one has been hanging in his office for about a month now.) I teared up at this point.
This is what Randy thinks of his pink tassel. Haha. That was the color of The School of Music. Sorry, he didn't choose it.
Had to get a picture of Bonnie taking a picture of Randy. I think she took a million... and to the right there was a big line of people waiting to walk by. :) She was a proud mom!
Randy with his very supportive parents.
Proud wife!  (Picture taken from Bonnie's cell phone, the quality isn't great.)


Walking around my and Randy's alma mater was fun. The De Jong hall, where he graduated was where he performed many times with his cello and where I would meet him to go "study" while we were dating. :) Lots of awesome memories at BYU campus. I think the saying is true: "Once a Cougar, always a Cougar." We bleed blue and always will! GooooOOOO COUGARS!!

4 comments:

Liz said...

Congrats again! It's always fun to stretch out the celebrations even if he technically finished in December, right? :) I know what you mean about walking around campus and the buildings where we studied and "lived" while dating. Glad you're a fellow zoobie! :)

Natalie said...

So Cool! What a great accomplishment. Randy is such a good example to my boys. They quite like uncle Randy. And you are a good wife to see him through it all:)

Judy Sledheads said...

Congrats Randy!!!

Shalean said...

BYU ALUMNI!!!!! Feels so good to be done and know that you were a part of that awesome school:)