Today I was started organizing my bedroom. It's been long overdue; half of our things have been sitting in Provo (in our house that is still for sale), and the other half has been here. What a mess. Well finally, we are making progress and our house in Provo is ALMOST completely empty. Anyway, I was going through some things when I came upon my little box of sentimentals. These are the things that I took from my parent's house after my Mom died. Things that mean a lot to me. Things I remember that meant a lot to her.

The first thing I pulled out is a somewhat funny keepsake. Most of you would look at it and call it junk. I, however, call it a treasure. It's a scarf... of sorts. I remember my Mom wearing it around her neck when we would go places when I was younger, around 6 or 7. I have a particular memory of her wearing it on a trip to Oregon with a yellow sweater. I loved it. I remember sneaking into her room and taking this scarf out of her 2nd dresser drawer and trying it on. What can I say, I am a product of the 80's.
Next, I opened a jewelry box and found a flag pendant. I

f any of you even somewhat knew my mom, you would know that she was extremely patriotic. One year, she decorated our whole Christmas tree in USA flags and red/white/blue. She was very political and smart, and stood up for what she believed was right. I am so thankful to her for lighting that spark within me. I often wonder what she would think of how this election is turning out. She just knew Mitt Romney was going to be President. :) (Don't I wish.) Anyway, I remember her wearing this pendant quite a bit to church and things.
I loved how my Mom had earring for every season. Th

ese particular earrings are Poinsettia's (her favorite) for the Christmas Season. I remember her wearing these earrings a lot. With her beehive hairdo perfected, these earrings looked fantastic on her.
Probably the dearest possession I own from my Mom, is this ring. When I was about 12, my Dad remembered that it was my Mom's birthday like, tomorrow. He asked me if I would go with him to find something, and I jumped at the chance for a little daddy-daughter time-- hoping that he would buy me a treat or something. We

found ourselves at Sam's Club of all places, looking at jewelry. Right away we noticed this gold ruby ring. (Gold was in then). My Mom loved rubies, and I thought the heart in the middle was romantic. I thought the ring suited my Mom perfectly, and my Dad agreed. We were right. My mom LOVED it (she was so surprised my Dad did so good!) and actually replaced her wedding ring with it. (Her wedding ring had lost a couple of small diamonds). I remember when the cancer made her start to lose a lot of weight, the ring didn't fit her very well, but she still tried to wear it. After she died, my Dad said to me in tears that he wanted me to have that ring. It means the world to me, and I wear it on my own hand a lot.

My next treasure is this ruby necklace/earring set. Randy and I bought this for my Mom for Christmas 3 years ago. It went perfectly with her ring, and she wore it a lot. It's bittersweet to have the set back in my posession now.
I like going through my sentimental box every now and again. I love having little pieces of my Mom with me. They help me remember the good times.
When someone you love becomes a memory, that memory becomes a treasure.
5 comments:
Hi DaNae!
I stumbled across your blog and I love it. I totally remember the scarf necklace and the flag pin. They really are treasures. Say hello to your family.
Love,
Krystal
I love reading about and seeing your treasures. They are all very precious and I hope that you pull them out often for the memories. Thanks for sharing your special memories!
Oh DaNae, I just loved this post. It made me cry, but I just loved it. The next time I see my mom, I'm going to hug her and hug her hard. I'm just so sorry for your loss...but am so grateful you have these precious treasures. Your mom sounds like an amazing person!
What a wonderful and tender post. I think I might borrow the idea of sharing my treasures.
Wow! Is all I can say..I was not expecting that! Mom always made sure she looked nice and LOVED her earrings and rings! I miss her so much and have found myself talking about her a lot as the holidays have started to be on my mind. It seems so long since I've heard her voice and find myself trying to remember it and never wanting to let it go! We are SO lucky to have her as our mother! Thanks for the memories! I love you sis!
Post a Comment